Altar servers sent to the pew

Question from Isabelle on 11/4/2007:

Is it right that all of the alter servers at Mass are sent to the pew for the readings and are called to return during the presentation of the gifts.This is a recently introduced practice at my parish and the explanation I have received is that the alter servers are a distraction to the people.

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 11/6/2007:

Dear Isabelle,

It seems that there are all sorts of things going on in parish liturgies. I have not heard of the one you mentioned and do not know whether this is permissible under the General Instruction for the Roman Missel (GIRM) Does anyone know the proper procedure?

Dr. Geraghty

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 09, 2008

    I believe it is up to the pastor of each church. For example, in my Diocese (Orlando), half the churches have the servers accompany the priest or deacon with candles and the other half do not.

    ReplyDelete